Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bay Meadows, Part 1

Track attendees making wagers using computerized machines.


Attendees making bets at the windows manned by workers. In its heyday, you can almost imagine all the booths must have been several lines deep with people.


I believe this is the Club House seating. It looks so nice that I hate to see it torn down.


This is the Grandstand seating where the general public usually sits.


Bay Meadows, the local horse racetrack will be closing next week after 74 years of operations. Some of my friends and I visited this historical location for the first and last time yesterday. It had hosted famed horses such as "Seabiscuit" and "John Henry", but these 84-acres will eventually be turned into a commercial and residential development.

Click here to read up on its rich history.

- Karen

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Like the world really needs more commercial and residential development--good grief.

Thanks for the link to the story of the track. That part about its operation during WWII is fascinating.

AVCr8teur said...

Lynette, I thought the WWII history was interesting too. This place is part of history and I didn't know about it until now.

photowannabe said...

Its sad to see a part of history go the way of condos and malls. I lived pretty close to this for most of my life and during Fair times we went to a few races.
Thanks for the photos before its demise.
Sue

Lilli & Nevada said...

Well it is sad that houseing takes over but i like the idea of no races. but i am sure they will make another one. I used to love to watch horse races, but then they also get hurt and have to be put down and that makes me sad.