Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A&W Drive-In, Part 1

I've been on a little road trip so I haven't been able to post anything the last few days, but now I have some new pictures to share.


During my road trip through Central California, I visited the oldest A&W Drive-In still in operations. This is the exterior outside the Modesto restaurant. Hungry patrons can order their burgers and drinks right from their cars. Although I didn't see any roller skating waitress coming out to take orders, the nostalgia is still there.


A close-up of the exterior menu board.


The owner promotes 1950's-style rock & roll karaoke on Saturday evenings. I wished I was there to see that.


Interior seating


Order counter


A&W is famous for its root beers and in 1919, Roy Allen opened his business and served his first frosty mug root beer for 5 cents. As a child, I remember it was a treat to go eat at an A&W restaurant with my parents, but now, an A&W is a little harder to find plus there are a lot more fast food competition than back in the 1970's.

Do you have any A&W stories to share?


- Karen

7 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

I remember walking over to the A&W drive-in when I was little to get burritos. My mom would give me and my sister a dollar each. We would get two burritos and a share a soda.

rainfield61 said...

I find lesser A&W restaurants in Malaysia too. Only the fitter survives.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Pretty cool. There aren't many around these days.

LR Photography said...

Very nice, a piece of history.

Jules said...

Cool! And i like the arrangement of their seats. =D

Summer
A Writers Den
Brown Mestizo

Flag Gazer said...

OH - I remember this place!!!! I loved going there as a kid - who knew it was still in operation AND with all of the old decor in tact. Thank you - wonderful memories!

AVCr8teur said...

Flag Gazer: It's nice to know someone who had been here as a child. I'm glad you had a chance to reminisce.