Monday, August 17, 2009

"Thick Tower" Restaurant

"Dicker Turm" literal translation from German to English means "thick tower". While traveling through Germany last Spring, friends took me to this historic family-owned restaurant which was once a medieval castle in Esslingen about 8.7 miles (14km) from Stuttgart.


Entrance to the restaurant famous for its Baden & Swabian style cuisine of the southern Germany region.


From the lobby is the dimly-lit long and winding staircase leading to the dining room. From the signs, "Treppe" means "staircase" and "Aufaug" means "elevator".


My friends and I arrived early for lunch on this particular cold and wet Friday morning. We were the only ones in the restaurant and served by whom I assume is the owner.
The tables were beautifully laid out and you can almost see the curvature of the building.
Sadly, while researching the restaurant for this post, the husband & wife owners will be retiring and the restaurant is closing on January 1, 2010 as seen on their website.
Now, I wished I had taken a picture of the owners during our visit.


From my window seat, I could see the town of Esslingen below.


- Karen

4 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

Beautiful pictures, sad that they are going to close.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Wow, that is so cool, the architecture is amazing!

LR Photography said...

Hmmmm...nice!

betchai said...

love your pictures, the architecture is inspiring, and the panorama is really one of a kind.