Thursday, August 20, 2009

Kevin, Our Tour Guide

On our last full day in Munich, we happened to be in the right place at the right time to learn about a free city walking tour.
The tour starts off with a group photo seen here with Kevin, front & center in red.
As the walking prolongs, the group starts to dwindle. Four hours of walking through various cathedrals and historical buildings can be taxing.


Here we stop at a replica of the city. I felt sorry for Kevin who does these tours several times a week. He was losing his voice as he disseminate his stories and historical facts over the city noise. However, I am sure Kevin would promptly be cured after a few beers.
Click here to read about Kevin and his other Munich cohorts.

If you will be visiting Europe, click here to read about New Europe Tours complimentary excursions. From what I learned, these are volunteer tour guides and their only payment is through the generosity of others in the form of gratuities.
If they love the city and meeting new people, I can see why they do it.


- Karen

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Getting to go on a tour with a native is such a great thing to do when visiting a new city. I'm glad you got to do it, but I do agree about the taxing part of that long a tour.

Thanks for stopping by to look and comment. I appreciate it. About the light fixture in the photo, I'm standing in an indented doorway, looking down into an empty display window from its side. To the left you can see a bit of the brick sidewalk, looking out through the front of the window.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Love the photos and the tour

Rune Eide said...

Since I'm living in Europe... ;-)
But I quite agree - good guides are not always easy to come by and worth their weight in gold. I have been to Germany a number of times, but not to Munich, so thank you for the tip (and the pleasant comment)!

fortuitous faery said...

FOUR HOURS of walking around the city touring people for FREE? wow...that's seriously impressive! i hope tourists are generous with their tips!