Friday, February 15, 2008

Sutro Bath Ruins

This is a pathway down to the Sutro Bath ruins. Built in 1896, the Sutro Baths was the world's largest public indoor swimming location with 7 different pools ranging in temperature. The establishment also included a museum, a 8,000 seat concert hall, and a ice skating rink until it all sucuumbed to a fire in 1966.


Imagine standing on the Sutro Bath ruins yourself overlooking the Seal Rocks in the distance where sea lions used to congregate.


More remanents of the ruins with the rebuilt Cliff House in the distance.


While I was walking back to my car, I noticed this poster in the window of a nearby restaurant. This is what the Sutro Baths interior looked like in its heyday.


The Sutro Baths and Cliff House had always intrigued me as a kid. I guess nothing has changed even as an adult as this place still draws me in. However, I am disappointed on how much this place has changed. Click here for a Then & Now photos from the archives.

- AV

16 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow, I want to go there....right now. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

Isadora said...

It is unfortunate that we have only the ruins left. Must have been a splendid spot.

FO - 2 said...

A sad story.... Beautiful ruins and surroundings, though.
It must have been a lovely place!

Wishing you a happy weekend! :)

dot said...

Everyone else wants to go there. Not me after reading that sign! lol. Enjoyed the pictures especially the now and then.

NYCindividual said...

WOW. It's hard to imagine what it used to look like and how it came to this.

NYCindividual said...

WOW. It's hard to imagine what it used to look like and how it came to this.

myonlyphoto said...

Very nice photo set, enjoyed looking at them. Thanks for sharing, and thank you for recent visit to my blog, it is appreciated. Anna :)

Yolanda said...

I really enjoyed the story and photos here.

Gerald (SK14) said...

very interesting - on the then&now pics I couldn't help noticing the new [what I take to be an observation building] blocks the view of the rocks from further back.

KOSTAS said...

Splendid the photographs, informative the comment, very good work, amazing post

KOSTAS said...

Splendid the photographs, informative the comment, very good work, amazing post

lina said...

having a before photo makes me compare the two and appreciate what was missing. Cool! As always.

AVCr8teur said...

Everyone: Thank you for commenting. I agree that it is always quite sad to see a historical site such as this disappear. I can always imagine the excitment and opulence that went on in a place like this.

Anonymous said...

your photos are absolutely beautiful!

AVCr8teur said...

Tripthelady, Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the photos. :)

NhicE said...

very nice place :)