Saturday, February 16, 2008

Giant Camera


Camera Obscura also known as Giant Camera resides by the Cliff House in San Francisco. Built in 1946 and made part of the historical Playland amusement park by the beach. It moved to the Cliff House after Playland was torn down in 1972 to make room for housing.

I have never been inside this structure nor do I know if it is still in operations. But, if you go to the following links, you can get a glimpse of the live images it takes and an informational flyer.

Have a nice weekend,
AV

7 comments:

dot said...

I guess I've seen it all now. lol. That is really interesting. It sounds like you can still go inside if you have the admission price.
It sure made a pretty picture for your blog!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I remember seeing the cliff house from a distance when we were in San Francisco, but I don't remember seeing that. That is very interesting though...

Lara said...

that looks like a lot of fun!

AVCr8teur said...

Dot: Yes, the things you see in SF. Although people want to keep this thing around, I don't know if too many people actually want to pay to go inside.

Dana: This site is behind the Cliff House. Tourists won't give it a second look.

Lara: I agree, historical places are fun to visit and see.

Anonymous said...

wow. that's a mighty big camera. not digital yet, i believe. :-)

OzBurger said...

still in operations.
No s.

But that's one BIG camera! It makes me think of the BicCamera electronics store here in Japan.

AVCr8teur said...

Tipidmeals: I wonder how big the print would be for a digital camera this big. Haha!

Contamination: You mean there's another big camera somewhere else?