Monday, January 05, 2009

Palm Springs Aerial Tram, Part 1

I apologize for not posting the last few days, but I am still out of town for another day or so. I did find some time to continue my trip report on Palm Springs.


I always thought Palm Springs was a golfing and resort town. Who knew that one of Palm Springs' main attractions is the world's largest rotating aerial tram that travels to an elevation of 8,516 ft. I had expected the tram car to rotate 360 degree, but to the passengers' surprise, it was the floor of the tram that turned during the ascension.


Being that it was Christmas break for most school-age kids, families packed in to see this attraction. Here is the crowd waiting to get onto their scheduled tram.


This is a 80 passenger + 1 operator tram leaving the Valley Station for the 10 minute ride up to the Mountain Station at 8,516 ft.


From this view, I am in the tram leaving the Valley Station. At this point, the floor of the tram is slowly rotating so passengers will get a twice around 360 degree view of the mountain and valley floor below.


From this view, I was only halfway up the tram. If you are afraid of heights, this ride is not for you.


The little stick-like figures you see in the distance is the windmill farm I blogged about last week. Everything looks small from this distance.


To read more about the history of this aerial tram attraction, click here.


- Karen

14 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

I have mixed emotions about this as it is where my wife broke her ankle just walking across the car park - it was the start of a lot of her health problems.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Well i am glad that you showed us the photos, as that is about all i want to see of it. Yup i am one that don't like heights so would never catch me going on it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Excellent group of images! Thats some tram ride, over 8000ft! Happy new year.

Sue said...

I don't think I could do it and I've never been afraid of heights.

roentare said...

A splendid series of images that show case your experience. A very good start of 2009

AVCr8teur said...

Gerald: I am sorry that this post reminded you about your wife's mishap.

Craig/Roentarre: Thanks for your comments. This recent roadtrip I took resulted in quite a few images so keep reading. :)

Lilli/Sue: It was a little unnerving each time the tram car passed a tower when it would dip ever so slightly. Passengers on board would gasp with excitement and fear simultaneously.

Gerald (SK14) said...

no apology needed thanks

Rune Eide said...

What fun! I have travelled with that one - but it was the middle of March with 30 degrees C at the lower station. And snow behind the upper. The view is breathtaking indeed.

PS Thank you for the pleasant comments!

dot said...

I don't handle heights well so no way would I have got on that thing. lol

Neva said...

That is one awesome shot...the wind farm looks amazing.

OregonArtGuy said...

Nice Tram Pics. I went on it about35? years ago when it was still relatively new. Awesome scenery - didn't care much for going over the tower where you swing a little and your stomach tells you somethings not quite right :-}

AVCr8teur said...

OregonArtGuy, the ride 35 years later is still the same when passing over the towers. It gives the passengers an extra thrill

OregonArtGuy said...

"Extra Thrill" isn't exactly how I felt about it - I was pretty much imagining falling to my death into the ravine - but hey, I lived to tell about it :-}

LR Photography said...

Wow… it must be a ride!