Monday, February 12, 2007

At the studio



Clare Mullins hosts her own show on the local community KMTV television channel. I met her last week during my first video club meeting when she asked for volunteers to help her prepare for her show this past weekend. I was the only one who signed up from the club. I didn't know what to expect, but here's what I got to do... I helped her buy snacks, moved lots of stuff from her car into the studio in the pouring rain, helped copy photos onto a CD, arrange the studio layout, take photos, network with other volunteers, ...etc. 2-1/2 hours were spent preparing for the 1/2 hr. show, but it went by quickly and I had great fun.

The show is called "Colorful Journeys of Success" where Clare's 2 guests were Sydell and Valentina. She never mentioned their last names. They must be the Chers and Madonnas of the decorating world. :P

Sydell's paintings are painted in such a way that they can be arranged vertically, horizontally, or diagonally on a wall. And, Valentina is an interior designer, not decorator. There is a big difference between the two jobs which I realized after she explained it in detail. Valentina has such a colorful past. As she explained on the show, her strict Italian father forbade her to enter into the arts when she was growing up because one really couldn't make any money so she was forced to study the sciences (I forgot whether it was biology or chemistry.) In any case, soon after her father passed away, she began to study fashion design and spent many years in that industry before her clients urged her to re-decorate their homes as well. At that point, she began to study interior design. This is where she sketches a new layout of your house and/or room and hires contractors to do the physical labor.

Anyways, I found out by talking to the camera crew that I, too, could operate the cameras whenever I want if I take a short course at the studio. Of course, there wouldn't be any pay because it's a non-profit station, but it would be great fun and experience. Hmmm, I might have to take them up on their offer. Just what I need, to be involved in yet another project.

- AV

3 comments:

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

AV! That sounds really cool. By the way...are YOU in that picture by chance? Are you in the purple shirt? Just curious.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,

No, I'm taking the picture. That's Karen in the purple shirt. She invented a new type of panty hose that separates the big toe from the other toes. She's hoping to make it big as Hanes and other companies are asking to look at her design.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I should have guessed you would be taking the picture! ha ha. I was just curious...I wondered what you looked like. You aren't a camera hog like me - ha ha. That is cool about the pantyhose..although I HATE pantyhose with a passion. Never wear them!