Saturday, January 30, 2010

Working for a Living

Whenever I travel overseas, I like to see how other people live. During my recent trip to China, I spotted some of these workers.
Souvenir vendors are everywhere. They are quite persistent and are not shy about bargaining with you.


An idle pedicab driver waiting for his next fare. I wonder how many people need a ride in a land surrounded by bicyclists and motorists.


When she was zooming about me, I wondered what she was doing. After quickly realizing how efficient this vehicle is to help her pick up garbage in the world's largest public square visited by tens of thousands of people on a daily basis.


He made me nervous by the way he was standing on that boat cleaning leaves from the pond.


Street vendor selling cooked chestnuts. The vendor further up was selling cooked yams.


- Karen

9 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Everybody is working for a living. This is what your profile has mentioned, "worked in Engineering, IT, and Sales."

Sue said...

Great photos. They tell so much about life in China.

Jaypee David said...

i'm scared to ride a boat as small as that.. i'm afraid to fall.. there could be crocodiles waiting under.. haha.. :D

jam said...

Nice pictures you took of people making a living on the street!

Joanne Olivieri said...

Aw, does that bring back memories. While in HK during Chinese New Year there was the alluring scent of baked yams and chestnuts it seemed at every street corner. It's also customary to bargain with vendors there. They expect it though I always felt weird about bargaining with them because not only were prices so cheap but we just don't bargain here. Great shots.

fortuitous faery said...

i'm a big umbrella person, so i would have loved to get one of those umbrellas!

it's great to see how people from other places earn a living. that garbage-picker on a bike is an ingenious concept!

Mandy said...

I've always had a "thing" for those parasols and chinese lanterns - I would have spent my entire holiday budget in that stall in the first photo!!

Jules said...

you always produce lovely photos :)

Ruby's Raiser said...

Very cool. Love seeing the everyday and you captured it so well.