Friday, October 12, 2007

Big Brothers Are Monitoring Me, And ...

I'm allowing it!

I was contacted a few weeks ago by Arbitron, the marketing and media research firm, to ask me and my husband to be on their panel. They specialize in measuring the public's radio listening and television watching habits. Today, I received this huge box with instructions, portable meters, rechargers, and the "Collector".





My husband and I are each assigned a portable meter and we are suppose to wear it every day so it can record what radio & television broadcasts we are exposed to throughout the day. During the evening, we plug our portable meters into a recharger so in the middle of the night, the "Collector" will automatically dial out and download our data to their central server somewhere.

Why are we doing this? Well, as a kid, I always wanted to be part of the Neilsen Ratings because I watched so much tv. Now, I find out I could get paid to be on their panel and have a small say on what I like to hear & watch.

- AV

8 comments:

dot said...

I seldom watch tv but this really sounds like it might be fun. Let us know how it goes.

You are definately a professional with the photos! Love your ABC post.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

years and years ago I used to be a member of the BBC Listening Panel and I had to fill in weekly questionnaires about which radio programmes I'd listened to.

Things have changed massively since then and now I hardly ever listen to the radio.

AVCr8teur said...

Dot, I'll try to keep everyone informed. The panel can go up to 2 years so it's a long haul.

AVCr8teur said...

Ackworth, So you know what it's like. I hardly listen to the radio myself except when I'm driving.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

That sounds really intresting....I hope you enjoy doing it. And to think you will be influencing what we see - that is cool!

AVCr8teur said...

I don't know how much influence I'll have, but it will be an interesting experiment.

naptown said...

I was just put on the panel.

AVCr8teur said...

naptown: You'll have fun being part of the survey. Just don't forget to wear your meter.