Sunday, September 04, 2011

Calliope

Have you heard of a calliope?
Well, I hadn't until I did research for this post. You might have heard of the steam organ which is another name for it.
In the olden days, steam was sent through the pipes to produce the sounds like a train whistle according to Wikipedia.
This calliope playing at a festival yesterday projected its loud happy music throughout the park.


What does it sound like? Click here* to find out.
Think of a carnival, parade, circus, or an amusement park. I am sure you can think of other places you might have heard this kind of music.

After almost 2 weeks of not blogging due to an extremely busy schedule, I am back, but only temporarily until I'm out of town later next week. I will attempt to catch up on everyone's blog soon! Thank you for returning to read my posts.


*"Margie" performed by Jon Tschiggfrie. Music was found on Wikipedia.

- Karen

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so lovely! Thanks for sharing this.
Judy from Jamaica.

Ryan said...

Does this one still get played much?

AVCr8teur said...

Judy: Thanks for visiting and commenting!

Ryan: It was played when I was there, but I don't know normally how often it is being used. It is small enough to be transported to other events.

Medie007 said...

never knew it's called calliope. i thought it's like some pipe organ or something. :)

Emm said...

Hiya! It is good to be busy sometimes! I hope you're having a good time. I love that we learn so much about the world through our own photography and blogging and through visiting other blogs.

I love these photos! I've not heard of a calliope or steam organ before. Very interesting!