Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Stroll Beneath the Surface

A few weekends ago, I decided to take a stroll on the Golden Gate Bridge. After living in the Bay Area all my life, I have never attempted this trip.
To my surprise, I was not aware that one side of the bridge's walkway, the West side, is reserved for bicyclists.
Is it me or is this sign confusing?


I decided to take a stroll to the West side to see what it was all about. To get to West side from the vista point shown in yesterday's post, I had to walk down this narrow staircase.


Here I am strolling underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a little unnerving hearing the clanking of metal as cars, tour buses, and trucks whizzed directly above me.


This is a view of the bridge through the chain link fence.


This is the view from the West side walkway. I did not stay long due to pedestrian restrictions and I did not want to be trampled by an onslaught of oncoming bicyclists.


- Karen

7 comments:

Lilli & Nevada said...

Wow i guess that is confusing, altho i can't imagine riding a bike down those stairs but i guess there would be people that would. Specially kids.
I loved the tour and i too would be a bit leary about walking there

roentare said...

Your pictures have brought me to a bridge with such great writing. I like post like this one to see what you have been up to :)

LR Photography said...

Follow your instincts and go Karen, that is the best way!

Martin in Bulgaria said...

Mountain bikeers cycle up and down anything, that's the challenge!

Jaypee David said...

cool trip.. :D

Jim Klenke said...

Shoot yeah that sign is confusing. I like your shots. They are from spots we dont see everyday. I like the one looking through the fence.

dot said...

I love the sign but it is indeed very confusing!