Sunday, January 11, 2009

Library Grand Opening

Today was the grand opening of the new Milpitas Public Library. Here, the mayor and council members cut the ribbon. There is an estimate 123,291 libraries in the United States and much more worldwide.
When is the last time you visited your local library?


The historic Milpitas Grammar School was renovated and used as the anchor to the library with two huge wings added on each side. The original school was built for $13,212 in 1916. The new library cost slightly under the $39 Million budget. Times have changed!
You can click here to see the renovation process step-by-step.


Former Milpitas Grammar School students from various graduation classes take another yearbook photo in front of their old alma mater.


A small sample of the Children's section of the library. Lots of learning will happen here.


- Karen

7 comments:

Lilli & Nevada said...

Looks like a very nice Library and it has been yrs and yrs since i have been in one. I know i should but with my time the computer has become my library.

roentare said...

The place looks better than the ones in Australia. I am envious!

Rune Eide said...

What should we do without libraries? They taught me to read and to listen to music. When I was a child we, would never have been able to buy all the books I read.

I returned my latest borrowed book yesterday (A history of Norwegian photography)

AVCr8teur said...

Thanks all for your comments. Nowadays, our local library also allows members to download material (audio books, e-books, ..etc.) from home. Isn't technology great!?

Anonymous said...

The place is nice and very neat.. It looks like a good place to learn..

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Yay for libraries!!!

Lynette said...

Super post on the library. I went today after work, to the Central Library. I returned four books and checked out six. I adore libraries. Today's technology is another one of my loves.