Sunday, January 18, 2009

Call To Service

As part of National Day of Service called by President-Elect Obama and Vice President-Elect Biden to be a community volunteer, I decided to participate in sorting food at the local food bank. Our job today was to select 6 good apples into each of the red net bags.

If you are not familiar with National Day of Service, click here
.

Although this picture doesn't show it, over a hundred volunteers came to help. Of all the volunteers I spoke with, they all participated as a result of the National Day of Service request.


Taken with my camera phone, here is a small section of the sorting area. After working 90 minutes, our efforts yielded over 24,000 pounds of sorted apples which will be given to needy families and seniors along with other foodstuff.

We followed-up with a facilities tour and were informed of the growing hunger in the community and unfortunately, the dwindling number of donations on an annual basis.


- Karen

11 comments:

Lilli & Nevada said...

What a great service you did, that is a lot of apples, but i am sure that people will appreciate them.

LR Photography said...

A nice thing to do. Hey, you have a nice blog too. Thank you for your visit, I' will be back!

Anonymous said...

I just saw a commercial about the National Day of Service with prez elect Obama narrating it was very inspiring. Great job doing your part at the food bank!

roentare said...

Great thing you are doing here. Have a great day!

AVCr8teur said...

Thanks everyone. It was a rewarding experience and I met some nice people who have the same goals. Sometimes we need a little inspiration to get us into action.

photowannabe said...

I have done this type of thing in the past and find it so rewarding. Glad you were able to do it.

Anonymous said...

wow, glad for you being there. the apples look nice, i may have difficulty finding the best 6, but maybe it is easier to sport the best 6 in person than in picture.

Jim Klenke said...

You did a great service for people who need a hand.

dot said...

I'm sure there wasn't "one bad apple in the bunch"!

Neva said...

What a great thing to do....we have something called the Chicago Food Depository that we donate to...and I have volunteered there over the years....I was not familiar with this one...must've missed the ad!

Lynette said...

I am so happy that you had this chance to volunteer. When each one of us does this, American will be better, just like President Obama sees it can be. He cannot do it alone; we must do our part. I have two planned volunteer meeting/trainings to attend later on in the month. I am excited about both of them. And I want to do others this year, too, because I am inspired by your action. Thanks for posting it.