We found not 1, but 2 large and menacing looking spiders on our ceiling the other night. We managed to capture both in a large plastic container. The heat outside and our opened door must have welcomed them into our abode.
After some research on the internet, we found a college where you can mail in your spider(s) for identification.
What are some of the rules for mailing your spider? This is a pretty good service for the curious.
- Do not mail your spider in an envelope
- Do not mail a live spider. To kill a captured spider, leave it in a freezer overnight.
- Specify where was the spider captured (i.e. outside, in the house, in a sink, on clothing, ...etc)
- Specify the town and county where the spider(s) were captured
- If multiple spiders were captured on the same date and time, they can be mailed in the same container