Thursday, March 28, 2013

Skywatch Friday - Universal Child

Local meteorologists say it will rain in a few days, but it does not seem like it with such sunny skies.
Located on the grounds of the Santa Clara City Hall is an 85 feet rocket-like statue called "Universal Child" created by artist Benny Bufano in 1965. At the top of the tower is the face of the child and at the bottom are more children representing the races of the world.
I posted a picture of this statue years ago, but it is time to see it again. :-)

Visit other Skywatch Friday participants.

- Karen


12 comments:

Indrani said...

Great concept! Unique structure!

eileeninmd said...

What a cool sculpture? A very pretty day and a lovely sky. Have a great weekend and Happy Easter!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

It is an intriguing monument. It looks like a big bullet to me.

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting rocket. I would like to take a photo around there.

Anonymous said...

A very unusual statue, but it works for me!

Liz said...

Cool capture! Happy sky watching.

My sky.

SandyCarlson said...

That's an interesting concept behind this striking sculpture.

LONDONLULU said...

Very intriguing way to display the children's faces, unusual and cool find:)

Jana said...

I really like this piece of art, happy new week!

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

I thought that might be a Bufano, this must be one of his largest works, it is huge.

LifeRamblings said...

what an interesting tower. i'd love to see this in person.

Mandy said...

Hmmm. Now I'm wondering whether your rain ever arrived?? What a fantastic statue. I love stuff like that celebrates universality and the unity of human beings. That sounds arrange now that I put all of that into words.