Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Niles History

Niles in imprinted in its neighboring hills

Entry into the Niles district

The Niles District in Fremont, California is a small part of the San Francisco Bay Area, but holds some unique history. Back in the 1850's it was a midway point train stop for people traveling between Oakland and San Jose about a 40 mile one-way trip.

It had the first flour mill in the United States and the largest rose plantation in California.

In 1912, Essanay Film Studio headquarted here filmed many of its cowboy adventures in town and around the picturesque hills. Click here for history & pictures of Essanay.


- Karen

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Very interesting, I grew up on the Peninsula and had been to Fremont a few times but didn't know that.

AVCr8teur said...

Theresa, I didn't know either until my research for this post. If you ever happen by the area, see for yourself. The tiny area is littered with quaint shops.

LR Photography said...

New for me, great post Karen.

Jules said...

Oh thanks for sharing. Another interesting post from you. =D


Summer
Writers Den
Brown Mestizo

Rune Eide said...

I must admit that I first thought you had visited Egypt :-) , but then I found that I had missed by about half the Earth. I hope you still have that train in a veteran version!

PS Thank you for the comments!