Saturday, December 06, 2008

Coin Collector

It was early morning and I noticed a man thigh-deep in water wading across this hotel fountain. I could not resist and had to take a photo of him with my cell phone camera albeit an unflattering shot.

At first, I thought he was a worker cleaning it, but clearly, he was not associated with the hotel because he was wearing jeans and not any water-resistant gear. Tourists and passers-by throw coins in this fountain to make a wish, for luck, or whatever their fancy and this man decided to go fetch them.

Hmmm, I wonder who really owns the coins? The hotel because it is their fountain or any industrious stranger who is willing to dive into a fountain on a public street???


Have a nice weekend!

- Karen

7 comments:

Rune Eide said...

First time I have seen a genuine "coin collector"!

Personally I would have preferred notes...

Lilli & Nevada said...

You know i have always wondered who collects them as well. I guess he really must of needed it and hoped no one would catch him. It would of been hoot to give him a boot in the hiney tho. LOL

The Fitness Diva said...

That is an absolutely beautiful shot, and nice view. What a lovely pic.

I always wonder what happened to the coins that I threw into the Trevi Fountain in Rome! Who knows? ;)

Anonymous said...

Great photo. I used to work at Ghirardelli Square and on a daily basis, homeless people would get into the fountain on the West Plaza and scoop up the coins. If security was around they'd be thrown out but it happened daily.

dot said...

I wouldn't be surprised if he got arrested for getting in the water.
You always seem to be there at the right moment to get a good shot!

photowannabe said...

At least he is industrious. Its a good question about owenership. I guess whoever owns the fountain.

Lynette said...

Golly! I've never seen such a thing. Great capture.